Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Back from the Temperate Rainforest

December 25, 2016 - Indianapolis, Indiana

Merry Christmas, everyone. I'm back from Portland. I learned a lot on my trip, for example, when I went to Redwood National Park. In the park, I saw the world's largest tree, the Coast Redwood. The Coast Redwood is 380 feet without the roots. That's over 60 times taller than me! It was mind-boggling huge. This section of temperate rain forest was also the largest in the world. 

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/de/Redwood_National_Park%2C_fog_in_the_forest.jpg
In some regions of the temperate rainforest, it can rain more than 120 inches per year. The temperature stays moderate between 10(C) and 24(C). The biomass of the region I visited was much greater than comparably sized regions. This means the pacific rainforest is very productive. Not surprising as it is home to thousands of different plants and animal species. However, as with everything great about nature, humans are working to destroy it. Logging efforts have cut 96% of the redwoods and 90% of the rainforest.


No comments:

Post a Comment