Tuesday, October 1, 2013

From India back to Indiana

August 17, 2016 - Indianapolis, Indiana

I came back from India. My trip was great and I got to see all my relatives. Here's what I've learned. The rainforest lives up to it's name. It rained a lot. Now, on to the forest part of the name. On my trip out to the forests, I learned quite a bit. Around 60% of the species in the forest are indigenous, and 40% are not. 2/3 of all flowering plants can be found in the rainforest (and while I saw many, there were so many left to see). 

http://www.islands.com/files/_images/201102/Dominica_Calendar_Wallpaper_1920x1200.jpg
The rainforest is broken up into several layers. The first layer is called the Forest floor. It only recieves 2% of the sunlight and is home to larger animals. The second layer is the Understory layer and then the Canopy. In the end, we have the Emergent layer. Animals and plants live in most of the layers of the rainforest, and the top of trees reach the top of the emergent layer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment