Saturday, September 28, 2013

The Taiga was amazing!

From the Taiga

December 21, 2013 - Indianapolis, Indiana


4 more months have passed! Around 4 months ago, I arrived in Moscow, Russia. From there, I traveled all around the Taiga, from the eastern parts of Russia to the tip of Scandinavia. The trip was absolutely beautiful. I arrived in August, so one of the first things I did was go on a hike. 29% of the world's forests are in Taiga regions, so it seemed appropriate. I came upon a river, and we went canoeing in that. It was fantastic. I also went back to that region during Winter, when all the snow had fallen. That was a sight to see.  Anyways, I got to see a ton of cool animals. The Taiga is home to dozens upon dozens of different animals. I saw beavers, squirrels, a few bears, a WOLF . It was amazing and scary at the same time.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/53/Helvetinj%C3%A4rvi.JPG



I know the animals sound cool, but it was the whole atmosphere that made the trip what it was. There were mainly 2 kinds of trees, Maple, Elm and Oak. Given the time of the year, the leaves were changing color (and the second time, the tree peaks were snow laden). Our tour guide said we could pick some of the some berries right off the plants and eat them, they were sooooooo good! But you know what was sad, our tour guide said for decades they've been clear cutting these forests. In a few more decades, they might not be here anymore. Hopefully, that won't be the case.

Sources :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiga

No comments:

Post a Comment